Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Open Dáil and Seanad chambers for tourists and general public- Ó Ríordáin



Statement from Aodhán Ó Ríordáin TD
Labour Party, Dublin North Central
Wednesday, 8th February, 2012

Labour Party TD Aodhán Ó Ríordáin has stated that public tours of Leinster House should be amended to include access to both the Dáil and Seanad chambers.

The Dublin North Central TD believes that such an addition would greatly enhance visitor experience to the Houses of the Oireachtas and bring people closer to the democratic process.

Deputy Ó Ríordáin stated: "I see no reason why public tours of Leinster House should not include access to the Dáil and Seanad chambers on non-sitting days. I recently visited the Houses of Parliament in London where visitors are allowed on to the floor of the House of Commons and I believe this should be replicated in our own parliament, if not on non-sitting days then maybe when the Houses are in recess.

"I know from my own experience of showing constituents and schools around the Houses how much they enjoy being in Leinster House and how much closer it brings them to the political process. However, I think if we add access to the chambers for the general public it would only enhance their experience.

"I have made enquiries to the Ceann Comhairle's office regarding this matter and I eagerly await his reply as to how we can progress my proposal."